Goals, priorities & values of the Association of Contact Improvisation.
The Montreal contact improvisation dance community has set up a formal (and let’s admit it: legally incorporated) structure to preserve that fragile, precious moment when anything seemed possible. This structure is the Association de contact improvisation.
In its formal dimension, the Association is composed of members who come together annually in a general meeting to elect a board of directors, ratify any changes to the general guidelines, and approve the financial statements.
In its intuitive dimension, the Association expresses a hope of solidarity and harmony arising from the regular practice of contact improvisation.
The Association is founded on commonly held goals, priorities, and values.
The mission of the Association of Contact Improvisation (ACI) consists of:
- Assembling individuals to support an artistic community project.
- Adequately representing its membership before concerned parties.
- Promoting contact improvisation dance through education, research and performance.
- Developing the practice of contact improvisation and broadening its accessibility to the public.
To achieve the aforementioned goals, the ACI has established the following priorities:
- Create an organization that encourages the participation of all members in its development through structured committees.
- Uphold the General Guidelines and Rules of Conduct for members.
- Organize regular ACI events, jams, courses, etc.
- Create educational tools that present the values and evolution of the ACI.
To support these initiatives, the ACI actively promotes the following values:
- Love of dance.
- Presence, sensitivity and an ability to listen, both to oneself and others.
- A community-oriented lifestyle.
- Uncompromising integrity.
- Respect for all individuals.
- Openness and honesty in our actions, behaviors and responsibilities (members have complete access to information regarding the decision-making process, management and promotion of this Association)
- Global vision in order to understand and appreciate other communities and individuals.
- The inclusion of volunteers in the organization of all activities.